Edited by Maurice B. Hutchinson
Sadly, after 87 years, the Shiplovers’ Society of Victoria, the publisher of all 74 editions of The Dog Watch, has been disbanded. That is an unfortunate sign of the times in Australia where “sea blindness” has become endemic.
With so few merchant ships and literate merchant marine officers to be seen, the old romance and fascination with the sea and ships that inspired the establishment of the SSV, has very largely evaporated. The brief but valuable historical essays that mainly comprised The Dog Watch will no more be forthcoming so we should all make the most of this excellent final edition.
There are twenty-one essays in this edition, all of them interesting. A couple, however, refer to the real cause of the demise of the Australian shipping industry. That, of course, is the Maritime Union of Australia and its predecessor components such as the Seamans’ Union and the Waterside Workers’ Federation. Their grotesque demands and behaviour made investment in shipping in Australia completely futile. Theirs was a suicidal mission that hurt their members just as much as it did the wider populace.
So, grab it while you can and keep it as a record of both the good old days and the pitiful present.
Available from The Shiplovers’ Society of Victoria, Mount Eliza, Australia.
Mail: PO Box 825, Port Melbourne, 3207, Australia
- BOOK REVIEW | Diving for Treasure
- BOOK REVIEW | Bayly’s War – The Battle for the Western Approaches in the First World War
- BOOK REVIEW | Anatomy of Failure – Why America Loses Every War It Starts
- BOOK REVIEW | The Decline of European Naval Forces – Challenges to Sea Power in an Age of Fiscal Austerity and Political Uncertainty
- BOOK REVIEW | Ships and the Sea – The Art and Life of Oswald Brett
Latest from Neil Baird
- BOOK REVIEW | Prisoner of the Samurai – Surviving the sinking of the USS Houston and the Death Railway
- BOOK REVIEW | Seven at Santa Cruz – The Life of Fighter Ace Stanley “Swede” Vejtasa
- EDITORIAL | “Batten down the hatches” – Exports to become even more important
- BOOK REVIEW | Paradise Afire – Volume 1: The Sri Lankan War, 1971-1987
- EDITORIAL | 2018 - Another bad year for ferry fatalities