By Bill Leonard
A brilliantly presented and immensely valuable record of the pioneering days of Western Australia’s fishing and pearling industries, the men who conducted them and the boats that served them.
The author is a master shipwright who has an enormous knowledge of and passion for wooden boats and ships. He knows what he is writing about and, rarely and unusually, he also draws those vessels impressively well. In addition to being the leading shipwright on the construction of the HMS Endeavour and Dufken replicas, he has been involved with the Western Australian Museum’s excellent and very valuable collection of former working vessels in Fremantle. He knows many of the vessels described “close up and personally”.
Even when he did not know them personally, the author also knows a lot about the men who sailed and worked the vessels described and about their businesses and the industry sectors in which they operated. He describes them well.
The Western Australian fishing and pearling sectors, while past their heyday, are still important contributors to the Australian economy. So, while this fine book is a magnificent record of a vital part of Australia’s maritime history, it also makes a valuable contribution to the record of the country’s economic history. A true “collector’s item”.
Available from the Western Australian Museum, Welshpool, Australia.
- FEATURE | India’s navy: between carriers and patrol boats
- VESSEL REVIEW | Great Keppel Island – First of new patrol RHIB series for Australian Border Force
Townsville Port receives Australian Government funding contribution for expansion
in Port World
- FEATURE | Australia's east coast gas market – What's the role for LNG imports?
- Philippine Navy orders Austal OPVs
Latest from Neil Baird
- BOOK REVIEW | Prisoner of the Samurai – Surviving the sinking of the USS Houston and the Death Railway
- BOOK REVIEW | Seven at Santa Cruz – The Life of Fighter Ace Stanley “Swede” Vejtasa
- EDITORIAL | “Batten down the hatches” – Exports to become even more important
- BOOK REVIEW | Paradise Afire – Volume 1: The Sri Lankan War, 1971-1987
- EDITORIAL | 2018 - Another bad year for ferry fatalities