The Royal Canadian Navy’s auxiliary oiler replenishment (AOR) vessel Asterix has entered service.
Asterix is an ice-strengthened containership converted into a naval support vessel.
During the conversion, the ship was stripped down to its keel and rebuilt in a modular fashion, installing the same key Canadian military systems that will be installed on Canada’s future naval fleet.
The ship will remain under the ownership of Federal Fleet Services and be operated by a mixed crew of Canadian merchant seafarers and Royal Canadian Navy personnel for at least the next 10 years.
The ship has a service life of 40 years.
- Malaysian shipyard delivers converted FSO Benchamas 2
- Asterix achieves full operational capability for Royal Canadian Navy
- Royal Canadian Navy takes delivery of Asterix
- Steel-cutting ceremony starts construction for third Canadian Navy AOPS
- Consortium submits Type 26 bid for Canadian surface combatant program