US-based shipbuilder Metal Shark has delivered another six new military patrol boats to the Vietnam Coast Guard.
This order follows an initial six-vessel delivery of 13.7-metre Defiant-class patrol boats to the Vietnam Coast Guard in the province of Quang Nam in May 2017.
The new patrol boats were handed over at a delivery ceremony on March 28 at the Vietnam Coast Guard’s Region 4 station on Phu Quoc Island, the southwestern territory of Vietnam.
The boats were part of a US$20 million transfer of infrastructure and equipment by the US to Vietnam.
The delivery also included a training centre, maintenance facility, boat lift, vehicles, and a navigation simulator.
The patrol boats will be used to combat smuggling, illicit trafficking, piracy and armed robbery on the high seas, illegal fishing and environmental degradation.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Australia's $410 million icebreaker already eight months behind schedule
- FOI documents reveal $680 million overspend on Australian OPVs
- IMO confirms errors, 20 per cent correction in EEDI
- Lloyd's Register Foundation workshop aims to improve safety in two of the world’s most dangerous industries
- MV Werften delivers Crystal Ravel