US-based shipbuilder Metal Shark has delivered another six new military patrol boats to the Vietnam Coast Guard.
This order follows an initial six-vessel delivery of 13.7-metre Defiant-class patrol boats to the Vietnam Coast Guard in the province of Quang Nam in May 2017.
The new patrol boats were handed over at a delivery ceremony on March 28 at the Vietnam Coast Guard’s Region 4 station on Phu Quoc Island, the southwestern territory of Vietnam.
The boats were part of a US$20 million transfer of infrastructure and equipment by the US to Vietnam.
The delivery also included a training centre, maintenance facility, boat lift, vehicles, and a navigation simulator.
The patrol boats will be used to combat smuggling, illicit trafficking, piracy and armed robbery on the high seas, illegal fishing and environmental degradation.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Wang Tak launches 40m catamaran ferry for Pearl River Delta
- Vittoria Shipyard launches sub-decommissioning tug for Russian Federation
- VESSEL REVIEW | Two Tales – Aquaculture support vessel for Clean Seas Tuna
- Okskaya Sudoverf lays keel of fourth Project RSD32M dry cargo carrier
- General Dynamics Electric Boat awarded US$481 million for continued development of US Navy's next ballistic-missile submarine