The Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, has hosted a steel-cutting ceremony for UK-based Saga Cruises’ Spirit of Discovery.
The 58,250GT vessel Spirit of Discovery, which measures 236 metres by 31.2 metres, will take to the oceans in about 18 months’ time.
Spirit of Discovery will have a guest capacity of 999 and 530 crew.
Another new ship of the same dimensions will follow in the northern summer of 2020.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Australia's $410 million icebreaker already eight months behind schedule
- FOI documents reveal $680 million overspend on Australian OPVs
- Vietnam Coast Guard accepts delivery of patrol boats
- IMO confirms errors, 20 per cent correction in EEDI
- Lloyd's Register Foundation workshop aims to improve safety in two of the world’s most dangerous industries